Genesis: Streets of rage 2 PAL crashes at certain point

Discussion and listing of Retron 5 cartridge compatibility.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
xSystematic

Genesis: Streets of rage 2 PAL crashes at certain point

Post by xSystematic » December 26th, 2014, 7:06 pm

As the title says, the game crashes at the same point every time. I have tried 2 copies and both force the retron 5 back to the main menu. My firmware is 2.2 (build 1789)

The games have been cleaned and work fine on my Megadrive. it resets if I walk any further to the right (screenshot below)
Bare Knuckle II - Shitou heno Chingonka ~ Streets of Rage II (Japan, Europe)-2.png
The game is recognized by Retron 5 as the Japanese/Europen version

Just wondering if anyone else has this issue or is able to test the game.

But anyway, I'm new here and plan to test my Megadrive and Master System collection (mostly PAL) so they can be added to the compatibility list

papermurder

Re: Genesis: Streets of rage 2 PAL crashes at certain point

Post by papermurder » December 29th, 2014, 7:51 pm

Thank goodness for that! Someone else with the same problem as me! I thought there was something wrong with my Cart I can confirm I have exactly the same problem.

I have exactly the same firmware build as you. However this must be an issue with the latest build as before I upgraded the firmware I got past that stage without any problems. I e-mailed Retron support about but haven't heard anything yet.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » December 29th, 2014, 7:58 pm

From what people are reporting it seems these issues are cropping up when firmware 2.2 hit. 2.1 didn't seem to have a problem. It's easy enough to downgrade (same exact process as upgrading) but unfortunately hyperkin took down the link for firmware 2.1 so downgrading to 2.0 beta 6 is the next best thing. There are no changes from 2.0 beta 6 to 2.1 by the way other than the fact they took out a feature called "fast loading" from the 2.0 betas because it was broken. If you're going to downgrade just keep the fast loading feature disabled.

papermurder

Post by papermurder » December 29th, 2014, 8:00 pm

I have been using the level select cheat to get to stage 4 and haven't had any problems after that (although I haven't got to the end) but it is very frustrating. I haven't experienced problems with any other games.

It's a shame that previous versions of the firmware are not available as I would have downgraded. It will make be more cautious about upgrading in the future.

papermurder

Post by papermurder » December 29th, 2014, 8:01 pm

R9delta wrote:From what people are reporting it seems these issues are cropping up when firmware 2.2 hit. 2.1 didn't seem to have a problem. It's easy enough to downgrade (same exact process as upgrading) but unfortunately hyperkin took down the link for firmware 2.1 so downgrading to 2.0 beta 6 is the next best thing. There are no changes from 2.0 beta 6 to 2.1 by the way other than the fact they took out a feature called "fast loading" from the 2.0 betas because it was broken. If you're going to downgrade just keep the fast loading feature disabled.
Thanks for the info. I will try the beta and let you know if it makes a difference.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » December 29th, 2014, 8:06 pm

Yeah shit happens. There was an issue 2 or so months ago where they previously fixed a crash in Mega Man X, and then it cropped up again in an update (along with the file manager breaking as well) so I had to downgrade for it to be playable. Mentioning stuff like that to Retron Tech on facebook doesn't hurt because once me and a few others brought the issue specifically to him, he tested and verified and there was a new update that fixed it just days later. I wouldn't always expect the same result but unless it's brought up to him specifically they may never know if something's broken.

Anyway good luck and hope it works for you.

papermurder

Post by papermurder » December 29th, 2014, 8:37 pm

I just downgraded to the beta as suggested and the game does not crash now! Thanks for the advice. I will bring it up again with the Retron guys as you suggested, as I do not want it to be a problem with updates going forward. Thanks.

Retron Tèch
Hyperkin

Post by Retron Tèch » January 14th, 2015, 12:02 am

Thanks for reporting this, we'll work on a fix for the next firmware release.

ZForceFFC

Post by ZForceFFC » January 21st, 2015, 9:08 am

I actually had the exact same problem while playing the American version.

Jarza

Post by Jarza » February 23rd, 2015, 4:47 pm

Retron Tèch wrote:Thanks for reporting this, we'll work on a fix for the next firmware release.
I had the same issue with Streets of Rage 2. Also Jungle Book game (PAL version) crashes straight to the main menu. Any idea when the next firmware is out? :)