GBA Cheat

Discussion and listing of Retron 5 cartridge compatibility.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
SamuelCape

GBA Cheat

Post by SamuelCape » December 26th, 2014, 8:08 am

Hi,

I just try to put some custom GBA cheat codes, but it just wont work.
Here is what I tried on Super Ghouls'n ghost GBA:

<game title="Super Ghouls'n Ghosts">
<version CRC="1EF2ACF3" codeCount="8" title="(USA, Europe)">
<cheat format="GameShark" hacker="Unknown" name="m">930E6174230C,B1244F44F311,11BE5F2438D5</cheat>
<cheat format="GameShark" hacker="Unknown" name="Invincible">21867B07E1D5</cheat>
<cheat format="GameShark" hacker="Unknown" name="Infinite Lives">9D5D816CBA5E</cheat>
<cheat format="GameShark" hacker="Unknown" name="Infinite Credits">8D5DA36A9A18</cheat>
<cheat format="GameShark" hacker="Unknown" name="Infinite Time">69FC67EFAAFC</cheat>
<cheat format="GameShark" hacker="Unknown" name="Mega Jump">2938AD6FA812,BFD9804DA11A</cheat>
<cheat format="GameShark" hacker="Unknown" name="Always armored">2BC2B022D95E</cheat>
<cheat format="GameShark" hacker="Unknown" name="Mega weapon">971B582D2BD7777</cheat>
</version></game></database>

The Retron let me select the cheat, but they don't work. I tried those cheats on VisualBoy Advance by copy/paste the code and they worked...

I think, as the file "codes-gba.xml" dont exist in the Hyperkin's cheat packaging, the GBA emulator has no cheat engine. Or maybe it have, but wich one ??
Maybe also the problem is the format ?

If any of you are experiencing similar problems, please join the brainstorming :)

-S-cape.

1pil

Re: GBA Cheat

Post by 1pil » December 31st, 2014, 3:25 pm

I also would love to get some help getting codes to work. I also have got it to "load" the xml file I created and even the codes show up but the codes them selves do NOT work. I don't even understand it at all.
This is what my xml looks like.

I tried to simulate what the other xmls look like in this code. And thats how I was able to get the system to "read" the file and the codes. Execpt no codes I use seem to work. Tested codes in RAW and None Raw format. Neither work.

SamuelCape

Post by SamuelCape » January 2nd, 2015, 7:28 am

The emulator they used is VBA. So basicaly it have to work in a similar way to Game Boy cheats isn't ?

1pil

Post by 1pil » January 4th, 2015, 2:34 pm

If it was like vba...then I wouldn't even need to put them in xml format technically if thats the case. Either that or I wouldn't need to put them in raw format then because when I put codes in vba when I play games on that I just copy and paste as is. So, if we don't need to use raw format that is still confusing because I tried non raw format and they still don't work though. So, I wish I knew what to do. If we can get more help on this that would be nice. Because technically I am just doing this in the dark, basically not knowing what I am doing. Luckily I can at least get the file to load....I just got to figure out how to paste the codes in maybe....if I don't need to add comma's after each line of a code like for example the codes that have more than 1 line....normally with vba I just copy and paste. But when it comes to xml....from what I see on the other code xmls they are using commas to seperate each line. I guess I could just put spaces instead....but I am not sure if that'll work or not. Even with single line codes....those don't seem to work either. hmmm...Maybe it just doesn't suppose codebreaker? Except I also used gameshark and those don't work either. What else is there?

SamuelCape

Post by SamuelCape » January 4th, 2015, 4:43 pm

I dont think coma or space can do the problem because I did my own XML file for snes and it work fine.
But VBA mean that this is the same emulator for GameBoy than GBA. I didnt try already gameboy cheats, it will be my next experimentation.

I also read somewhere that the gameboy xml is also there for GBA. Thats completely wrong, I tried and it still ask for the gba xml file.

GameFox

Post by GameFox » January 21st, 2015, 4:24 pm

i see im not the onley one having issues with GBA Cheat codes.

im trying to get cheats fr Pokemon Leaf green so i can get the Mystic and aurora tickets into my game

Quarnz

Post by Quarnz » June 11th, 2015, 3:02 am

GameFox wrote:i see im not the onley one having issues with GBA Cheat codes.

im trying to get cheats fr Pokemon Leaf green so i can get the Mystic and aurora tickets into my game
I'm having a similar issue with Pokemon Emerald. I'm trying to get to Faraway Island. I put the teleport code in to VBA and it works first time, but from the Retron5 nothing happens. I don't know if I'm putting in the syntax of the XML file in wrong. :?

1pil

Post by 1pil » August 10th, 2015, 2:28 pm

Now that the cheats work, the only code I found that works for FFIV Advance is the "have loads of gil" Its the ONLY cheat on the entire cheat list that works for that game. I even added a custom magic modifier which loads up in the cheat list on retron but enabling it does nothing. And NONE of the enable codes on the xml for FFIVA works at all. NONE of the item codes work either, why are they even on the xml file if they don't work?????
Can someone explain this to me?