Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Discussion and listing of Retron 5 cartridge compatibility.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
izmaster244

Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Post by izmaster244 » December 22nd, 2014, 1:33 pm

Hello. I finally got to pick up a Retron 5, proceeded to download the latest firmware, and have come up with a particular issue in Sonic 3 (it also happens with Sonic & Knuckles locked on). Whenever I get to the midboss of Angel Island zone and the fire wall appears, the game freezes and goes back to the menu to reload the game. It's the only game that does that for me. I've also provided footage of it happening too. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pblYMxmPSE

R9delta
Patch Master

Re: Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Post by R9delta » December 22nd, 2014, 7:49 pm

Hmm. I've tested on mine. It's an older model Retron 5 and on firmware 2.1 and it works good on mine, both locked on and not. It might be worth downgrading to firmware 2.1 and seeing if the problem still persists (downgrading is done the same way upgrading is). Also it might be worth trying Sonic 3 with the Sonic 3 Complete patch and see how it does as well. Here's the link if you need it:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/pb64f ... c+3%29.ips

If you use that make sure you turn on the "use seperate saves" option on the game specific settings, other wise you'll wipe out your seemingly perfect save off your Retron 5 and will have to import it from the cartridge again.

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » December 23rd, 2014, 12:07 am

I think the problem is probably a firmware issue like R9Delta said, or (this is far fetched), a problem with the Retron 5 where you need to reset it to the default settings. I wouldn't do this unless all else fails, but I have heard of someone having issues like this (Zelda 1, the game would stutter a lot), and once he reset it, it all worked.

One of the first things I did when I got my Retron 5 was play Sonic 3 & K after I downloaded the update to allow lock on, and I had no trouble at all with the game.

izmaster244

Post by izmaster244 » December 26th, 2014, 2:08 am

R9delta wrote:Hmm. I've tested on mine. It's an older model Retron 5 and on firmware 2.1 and it works good on mine, both locked on and not. It might be worth downgrading to firmware 2.1 and seeing if the problem still persists (downgrading is done the same way upgrading is). Also it might be worth trying Sonic 3 with the Sonic 3 Complete patch and see how it does as well. Here's the link if you need it:

If you use that make sure you turn on the "use seperate saves" option on the game specific settings, other wise you'll wipe out your seemingly perfect save off your Retron 5 and will have to import it from the cartridge again.
Funny you mention that, because I actually did test out Sonic 3 Complete on the Retron 5, and it still ended up freezing at the same spot.

Should I contact Hyperkin to do a factory reset?

dashv
Site Moderator

Post by dashv » December 26th, 2014, 5:25 am

izmaster244 wrote:
R9delta wrote:Hmm. I've tested on mine. It's an older model Retron 5 and on firmware 2.1 and it works good on mine, both locked on and not. It might be worth downgrading to firmware 2.1 and seeing if the problem still persists (downgrading is done the same way upgrading is). Also it might be worth trying Sonic 3 with the Sonic 3 Complete patch and see how it does as well. Here's the link if you need it:

Funny you mention that, because I actually did test out Sonic 3 Complete on the Retron 5, and it still ended up freezing at the same spot.

Should I contact Hyperkin to do a factory reset?
Send a facebook message to Retron Tech. He can verify if the rom is dumping correctly from your cartridge and give you some guidance on any next steps.

izmaster244

Post by izmaster244 » December 29th, 2014, 7:37 pm

Okay, so I tried contacting Hyperkin and Retron Tech through their Facebook pages and I've gotten no response. How do I downgrade to a different firmware?

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » December 29th, 2014, 7:54 pm

You just have to follow the same exact steps you did when you upgraded. There's no hoops to jump through or no limitations when downgrading. Same process.

Edit: It seems the link for 2.1 shares the same page as version 2.2, making 2.1 unavailable for download at this time. Here's a link to 2.0 beta 6 instead:

http://retron5.in/?src=17e62166fc8586dfa4d1bc0e1742c08b

The only thing i think 2.1 changed from 2.0 beta 6 is that they took out an optional feature called "fast load" because it was broken and failed to load the cartridge when using patches. Fast loading broke Genesis games from loading as well sometimes if I remember. Other than that, there was nothing that 2.1 added that I can recall. Just keep "fast loading" off if you're going to downgrade to this one.

hikaricore
Site Admin

Post by hikaricore » December 29th, 2014, 9:48 pm

Glad I made archives of the various updates for my local Retron 5. O.o
Sadly since they're linked to a key for each individual unit my copies won't help anyone. D:

I can't believe they took down 2.1 but not Beta 6.

izmaster244

Post by izmaster244 » December 30th, 2014, 1:44 am

R9delta wrote:You just have to follow the same exact steps you did when you upgraded. There's no hoops to jump through or no limitations when downgrading. Same process.

Edit: It seems the link for 2.1 shares the same page as version 2.2, making 2.1 unavailable for download at this time. Here's a link to 2.0 beta 6 instead:

http://retron5.in/?src=17e62166fc8586dfa4d1bc0e1742c08b

The only thing i think 2.1 changed from 2.0 beta 6 is that they took out an optional feature called "fast load" because it was broken and failed to load the cartridge when using patches. Fast loading broke Genesis games from loading as well sometimes if I remember. Other than that, there was nothing that 2.1 added that I can recall. Just keep "fast loading" off if you're going to downgrade to this one.
Well, after downgrading to 2.0 beta 6, I can happily say Sonic 3 works fine now! Thanks for the help!

Retron Tèch
Hyperkin

Post by Retron Tèch » January 14th, 2015, 12:00 am

Thanks for reporting this issue, we'll look into a fix for the next release