Castlevania Bloodlines

Discussion and listing of Retron 5 cartridge compatibility.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
Karny

Castlevania Bloodlines

Post by Karny » December 15th, 2014, 3:45 pm

Hi everyone

I've discovered that my copy of Castlevania Bloodlines causes the Retron 5 to crash back to the dashboard after walking past a certain point in the screen on stage 2-5.

Interestingly enough, that stage is used for the demo mode, so if I just leave it running after booting the title it'll eventually crash back to the dashboard.

I've recorded a video of it:

Unfortunately, I don't have an original Genesis to test this on, so i can't rule out if it's the cart itself.

Could someone else with this game confirm if this is a general issue with the title, or if it's my cart which has issues.

Thanks!

R9delta
Patch Master

Re: Castlevania Bloodlines

Post by R9delta » December 15th, 2014, 10:38 pm

So i've tested this (a bit under different circumstances which i'll explain) and it doesn't crash on mine as of firmware 2.1. It might be worth seeing if you can test the game on a real Genesis if you know someone that has one. That said the circumstances i'm testing under may not be reliable for your purposes. I do not actually have the game, what I have done instead is that I've created a patch that converts my US copy of Sonic 2 and converts it to a US copy of Castlevania Bloodlines. So while it's not what i'd call a complete troubleshoot, it's enough to cross off it being an emulation issue I think. The Retron 5 can likely emulate the game just fine without crashing if there are not other issues like the cartridge being faulty or the Retron 5 misreading it.

If anyone else wants to try the same patch that i've created you're welcome to it.

Convert Sonic 2 (US) -> Castlevania: Bloodlines (US):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/eijhh ... dlines.ips

Little unrelated to the troubleshooting but if anyone wants it..

Convert Sonic 2 (US) -> Castlevania: Bloodlines (US) (+ Color Enhancement hack):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/kcr6i ... ced%29.ips

Karny

Post by Karny » December 19th, 2014, 5:32 pm

Thanks for taking the time to test that, R9delta! Really appreciate it.

I've tried your approach, using a Wolverine Adamantium Rage cart with a patch to run Castlevania Bloodlines.

The result? Crash at the exact same place - which in a way is a relief because it suggests that it's probably a software issue, which hopefully means it might get fixed - unless of course there's a hardware issue with my specific retron 5?

Did you try playing the game on stage 2-5? Or watching the demo video after the title screen? I don't have a copy of Sonic 2 to test your patch unfortunately...

Edit: spelling

hikaricore
Site Admin

Post by hikaricore » December 20th, 2014, 12:57 am

I may have missed you answering this already, but have you installed the latest software update on the unit yet?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=138

Karny

Post by Karny » December 20th, 2014, 11:18 am

hikaricore wrote:I may have missed you answering this already, but have you installed the latest software update on the unit yet?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=138
Yes, I'm running the latest software.

For what it's worth I think I have a "model 2" retron 5. Mine has rubber caps on the controller ports, starts almost instantly and has 3.1gb of internal storage.

Maybe that had something to do with it?

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » December 20th, 2014, 11:21 am

Karny wrote:Thanks for taking the time to test that, R9delta! Really appreciate it.

I've tried your approach, using a Wolverine Adamantium Rage cart with a patch to run Castlevania Bloodlines.

The result? Crash at the exact same place - which in a way is a relief because it suggests that it's probably a software issue, which hopefully means it might get fixed - unless of course there's a hardware issue with my specific retron 5?

Did you try playing the game on stage 2-5? Or watching the demo video after the title screen? I don't have a copy of Sonic 2 to test your patch unfortunately...

Edit: spelling
The test I took was just from watching the demo for about 5-10 min. and then letting it loop for about an hour or so while I was doing other things. I came back and everything was still as normal. Although for you...with the way patching works..unfortunately even if you had a cartridge of Sonic 2 it would likely still be the same result since making a patch completely changes from one rom to another in every single way, faults and all.

Given from what you've said, yeah I agree...I don't think it's your copy of Castlevania Bloodlines that's the issue. Either it's the firmware you're on (game had issues before but was fixed later on?), maybe you're using cheats, or maybe it's something with your particular Retron...or maybe it could be me and I didn't test thoroughly enough and maybe it just affects everyone. It might take actually playing to that part and using the demo loop isn't enough. Like I said i'm on firmware 2.1 right now on a model 1 Retron 5.

dustbuster

Post by dustbuster » February 6th, 2015, 9:55 pm

The same thing just happened to me on the exact same spot in level 2-5. Weird...no cheats used just alot of save states lol. Any update on this by chance?

dustbuster

Post by dustbuster » February 6th, 2015, 10:17 pm

I used an old school password to get me to level 3 and a similar scenario happened at level 3-4. Maybe just wait for the next update?

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » February 7th, 2015, 11:28 am

Turns out the culprit is firmware 2.2. A few genesis games got essentially broken on it (Sonic 3 being one, Streets of Rage 2 being another). Downgrading to something like 2.0 beta 6 will work around this issue until a new firmware is released.

Karny

Post by Karny » February 8th, 2015, 4:57 pm

Thanks for the tip - I'll give that a try!

I also noticed that Alien Soldier would randomly crash at certain points if you leave the demo looping. Hopefully this fixes that too...