Megadrive games compatible without any alterations?

Discussion and listing of Retron 5 cartridge compatibility.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
Lilith
לילית

Megadrive games compatible without any alterations?

Post by Lilith » November 1st, 2014, 8:34 pm

I know SFC and FC games work without trouble on the Retron (it even has a slot specifically for FC games, and SFC games work fine in the SNES slot), but do Megadrive (JP and EU Genesis)? I hear that they're wider than US Genesis games, which is opposite to SNES/SFC where SFC are thinner, and thus fit fine. I ask because it doesn't seem like wider MD carts would fit, since there's no real extra room in the slot. I don't think there's nearly as many games I'd want to import for MD compared to SFC, but I'd like to be able to if I find any. I've heard they require the sides sanded down on the Genesis, but with the Retron being able to play SFC carts natively, I'm more certain that MD carts would be fine. Has anyone tried any MD carts? I know there's that list, but I don't know if they had to do any alterations.

Thanks.

MrMan2k7

Re: Megadrive games compatible without any alterations?

Post by MrMan2k7 » November 3rd, 2014, 3:15 pm

According to the official Retron5 webpage, Mega Drive is listed as one of the 10 systems supported by the Retron5. I just won a Mega Drive cartridge on eBay, so I'll be able to test for sure soon.

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » November 19th, 2014, 11:28 pm

Any word yet that it works for sure?

ae.tc

Post by ae.tc » November 21st, 2014, 11:40 pm

confirmed, MD works in GEN slot

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » November 22nd, 2014, 1:08 am

ae.tc wrote:confirmed, MD works in GEN slot
Thank you. I actually was thinking more and more that they would, so I bought a cheap Togi O. Glad it works for sure, though.

Kulp

Post by Kulp » December 4th, 2014, 7:17 pm

Zero Wing (EUR), Super Fantasy Zone (EUR), Puyo Puyo (JPN) & Ragnacenty (JPN) are the only mega drive games I currently own. they all work fine with my retron5.

However, you are correct, there are some mega drive games that are incompatible because they just don't fit. I don't have any of those yet, I've only heard things.
-Kulp
view my video game collection here:
http://backloggery.com/Kulp