Well the input lag of the Retron 5 really blows

Discussion and listing of Retron 5 cartridge compatibility.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
the_importer

Re: Well the input lag of the Retron 5 really blows

Post by the_importer » October 29th, 2014, 2:44 pm

jayare5 wrote:You can still complain to them. If more and more people complained, they would work around it.
But honestly, knowing little to nothing about programming, I dont know if that will be even possible to fix.
It's an android machine with emulators, after all. I'm guessing there are limitations and cost issues.
It might never be 0% lag. The effort needed for something like that is probably not worth it when we have our original hardware. That's only my bet though. On iphone, there are some official apps that are emulated games (arcade for example) and those have no lag that I can notice! Maybe like 10 ms if any. It might still be possible. So you should complain to them!
I already complained to Hyperkind and it would technically be possible if Nintendo can do it on the Virtual Console. I have a Virtual Boy and about 15 games that I've used 3 times since I got it and has been gathering dust for over a year, I may just sale and buy a Framemeister with the proper SCART cables.

username

Post by username » October 31st, 2014, 3:13 am

well, since you bring up nintendo there is an interesting discussion about lag in the context of the wii u over at gamefaqs http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/68178393

I guess I should note that I'm currently hooked up to a monitor with an hdmi>dvi no sound so maybe that's a factor in relatively low lag

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » October 31st, 2014, 11:19 am

Yeah most monitors have very little latency compared to a lot of modern TVs so any input lag you're seeing will mostly be from the Retron 5 itself instead of the Retron combined with a high latency TV which make for a really bad experience.

Tommyd

Post by Tommyd » May 21st, 2017, 3:57 pm

I can promise anyone reading this that there is indeed quite bad input lag using the Retron 5. I have a TV bought specifically for games with minimal input lag in mind. I play on it on a Wii U (including snes virtual console), Switch, Xbox One and also my original NES as well as the Retron 5. I play on this TV in game mode, etc, with the same settings for all of the above.

The delay playing using the Retron 5 is significant, and essentially renders the games useless to me for everything except things like Zelda where input delay is unimportant.

I am really disappointed with this. If you have not played one of the original versions of the old games for a while, you may forget how tight and how much better they are with pretty much zero input lag compared to with the Retron.

I honestly would recommend not buying the Retron until the inout lag is fixed. And I suspect this is not possible via a firmware update.

It is such a shame, as the games do look and sounds great. But with the gameplay largely destroyed for anything that requires precision input (e.g. Almost all games from back then), what's the point?