SD card and little info

Ask and assist the community with Retron 5.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
Marcone

SD card and little info

Post by Marcone » January 15th, 2016, 9:34 am

Hi all,
few days ago I bought a RETRON 5 and I'm reading a little the forum and on the Internet about how the Retron5 works, I read on several posts/blogs that in retron5 doesn't work well with micro sd card and you use a normal SD, is it true?
In this moment i'm testing the Retron with a micro SD and It seems to work properly.

Second and last thing, in youtube I saw someone launch Sega master system roms with Megadrive cartridge inserted by file patch system (IPS), I tried many times but never worked, all ok with GB, GBC, GBA, SMD, NES and SNES.

I doing something wrong with Sega master system roms?

Thanks a lot.

Marcone

Re: SD card and little info

Post by Marcone » January 26th, 2016, 3:41 am

I thank all the people who took the time to answer me, that's the long list:

nobody
nobody
nobody
nobody
nobody

Problem solved!
I hope it can be useful to someone else.

hikaricore
Site Admin

Post by hikaricore » January 26th, 2016, 6:21 pm

I'm really sorry that you didn't get a response to your issue on our forum. It's a small community and this time of year many people are still winding down from the holidays. If you feel like being helpful and sharing your resolution, it may be of some use to others in the future.

Marcone

Post by Marcone » January 27th, 2016, 12:15 pm

Well, these are my experiences in 15 days that I have bought my Retron5.

Someone had written that the micro sd memory did not work with the Retron5 but for my it works well.

The patch system (IPS) to patch a cartridge with a hack rom (for examples a traslation of a jap game) works good and whit this features you can load a rom directly (all peoples know it), for me the problem was with the Sega Master System Roms an Nontendo FDS (Famicom Disk System), the Sega Master System Roms can only launch (with MegaDrive cartridge) if You have firmware 2.3 Beta1 or previous firmware (maybe 2.3 Beta2 too, i don't know) but for sure i have tested with 2.2 and 2.3 Beta1 and works well, doesn't work with latest 2.3 Beta3, I think that they stopped this due to mastersystem power converter base sale in future.
The FDS roms works only with firmware 2.3 Beta1, doesn't work with all authers firmwares, for those who do not know, You need to place FDS bios (DISKSYS.ROM) in SD:\Retrofreak\BIOS\

If You have already update to 2.3 Beta3 and you need to run MasterSystem or FDS roms you need to downgrade the Retron5, for me the direct downgrade doesn't work, before I had to do a factory reset :

http://retron5.in/node/4

than upgrade with firmware 2.2 you can download it from

http://retron5.in/?src=67c6a1e7ce56d3d6fa748ab6d9af3fd7

unfortunately they remove the link to download 2.3 Beta1 firmware, PM me if You need this one.

For now I'll stop here, I do not even know if anyone will read this post.

I need to thanks an Italian forum member, some important information was given by him, I do not understand why it was so difficult to find information on Retron5, it seems that no one wants to share.

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » January 27th, 2016, 4:48 pm

Marcone wrote:Well, these are my experiences in 15 days that I have bought my Retron5.

Someone had written that the micro sd memory did not work with the Retron5 but for my it works well.

The patch system (IPS) to patch a cartridge with a hack rom (for examples a traslation of a jap game) works good and whit this features you can load a rom directly (all peoples know it), for me the problem was with the Sega Master System Roms an Nontendo FDS (Famicom Disk System), the Sega Master System Roms can only launch (with MegaDrive cartridge) if You have firmware 2.3 Beta1 or previous firmware (maybe 2.3 Beta2 too, i don't know) but for sure i have tested with 2.2 and 2.3 Beta1 and works well, doesn't work with latest 2.3 Beta3, I think that they stopped this due to mastersystem power converter base sale in future.
The FDS roms works only with firmware 2.3 Beta1, doesn't work with all authers firmwares, for those who do not know, You need to place FDS bios (DISKSYS.ROM) in SD:\Retrofreak\BIOS\

If You have already update to 2.3 Beta3 and you need to run MasterSystem or FDS roms you need to downgrade the Retron5, for me the direct downgrade doesn't work, before I had to do a factory reset :

http://retron5.in/node/4

than upgrade with firmware 2.2 you can download it from

http://retron5.in/?src=67c6a1e7ce56d3d6fa748ab6d9af3fd7

unfortunately they remove the link to download 2.3 Beta1 firmware, PM me if You need this one.

For now I'll stop here, I do not even know if anyone will read this post.

I need to thanks an Italian forum member, some important information was given by him, I do not understand why it was so difficult to find information on Retron5, it seems that no one wants to share.
I feel similarly about running emulators on the RetroFreak, there are videos up of it doing so, so obviously people have done it, but noone wants to share how, there are virtually no instructions on the videos I've seen. Frustrating.

Am I doing something wrong with the FDS BIOs? FDS games won't load on the Retro Freak. I have them in the BIOs folder.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » January 27th, 2016, 7:36 pm

The videos you're finding on the Retro Freak are likely from user Retron Labo, he modifies the firmware to do so like he's done on the Retron 5. He will not share out the hack or method until its out of testing (if ever) outside of a few that followed him on twitter. It's likely because the firmware update request file is personalized and encrypted for each Retro Freak/Retron and he can't just release a generic hack for everyone.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » January 31st, 2016, 9:19 pm

Also thanks for what you posted Marcone. I actually managed to get FDS games working on the Retro Freak which is amazing. Directions were pretty simple. Just put the FDS bios (DISKSYS.ROM) in SD:\Retrofreak\BIOS\ and then the actual roms will go where you usually put them (SD:\Retrofreak\Games\ in my case, although i've got so many on there i'm gonna see if i can separate them by system under that and see if they'll still load fine). Was playing some 3D Hot Rally and it played great. Just had to look in the controller hotkey options and find out how to change the disk side.