Final Fantasy VI - The Eternal Crystals | FF VI (III) SNES

Post or link to the best rom hacks here. Completed projects are preferred because let's be honest, folks can go elsewhere for the rest. Be sure to cite to original author(s).
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
hikaricore
Site Admin

Final Fantasy VI - The Eternal Crystals | FF VI (III) SNES

Post by hikaricore » September 23rd, 2014, 7:09 pm

Final Fantasy VI - The Eternal Crystals by MakouEyes | Complete Game Hack
Console Name: SNES (Super Nintendo Entertainment System)
Base Game Required: Final Fantasy III (US) aka Final Fantasy VI
Compatible ROM Name: "Final Fantasy III (U) (V1.0) [!]" & "Final Fantasy III (U) (V1.1) [!]"
Download: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/431/
Homepage: http://metroidquest.angelfire.com/FF6_EC_vX/

Features:
  • New Custom-composed MUSIC
  • New Events
  • New Sprites and Portraits
  • New Dungeons
  • New Characters - a total of 15 fully functional players!
  • New Espers
  • New Font
  • New items / spells, etc.
  • and much more…. (See the included Read Me for more details)
Reviewed by "Gi Nattak" (via http://tinyurl.com/mmyw5hn):
I have played through FF6 Eternal Crystals v.X all the way through, and not only did I enjoy almost every minute of it, I would most likely not hesitate to do so all over again! I, myself, am an avid hardcore FF6 Player/Hacker/Fan for a long time now, with a hack of my own, and I was not disappointed with this re-crafting of the game, which is Version X. And while I felt that certain parts could use a little more balancing, and testing, I was pretty much satisfied in terms of difficulty. Trust me, if you enjoy a challenge, you will not be disappointed either!

Since this is an honest review, I will say that I was slightly upset with Cyan the Dark Knight, and thus found myself not using him at all. The same goes for Sabin’s Kick skill, which I found rather useless. A few bugs were still present, and some cheap boss exploits that I discovered. But those are all minor issues in the long run of the experience I had. There is a whole new story that is actually pretty damned interesting, and well thought out. I was basically doing a speed run of the game, or rather trying to play through it with an excellent time, and instead found myself taking much time to read the text and absorb the story. So that should say a lot.

Since I will not spoil the story, I will just say that what was the World of Ruin, has been changed dramatically, in a way that makes you feel as though you are experiencing something new and awesome for the first time. And it is good… There are many unique surprises and new dungeons, as well as some crazy strong character specific Relics and armor. There is also many new song injections from other games, which has to be my favorite part of the whole hack, because as we all know… that is not an easy thing to do! An incredible amount of time, patience, and effort went into this hack, and it shows. And if anyone would know that, it is me. So please, do not be afraid to give FFVI Eternal Crystals a shot. Great job MetroidQuest!

Final Score 9/10
Screenshots:
431titlescreen.jpg
431titlescreen.jpg (8.99 KiB) Viewed 4917 times
431screenshot2.png
431screenshot2.png (21.06 KiB) Viewed 4917 times
431screenshot3.png
431screenshot3.png (36.5 KiB) Viewed 4917 times
431screenshot1.png
431screenshot1.png (26.35 KiB) Viewed 4917 times
Gameplay Video: