Help: Zelda - The Legend of Link (Currently Unplayable)

Post or link to the best rom hacks here. Completed projects are preferred because let's be honest, folks can go elsewhere for the rest. Be sure to cite to original author(s).
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
hikaricore
Site Admin

Help: Zelda - The Legend of Link (Currently Unplayable)

Post by hikaricore » September 18th, 2014, 1:15 am

I've been attempting to get Zelda - The Legend of Linkto work on the Retron 5 using the latest beta 5 with little luck.

The developer behind the hack notes the following:
There is a fast way to learn if my rom will play perfectly on an emulator you use. Watch the intro after the title screen fades away. I have a golden scroll moving up the screen. If that scroll & text comes up garbage, then you should stop playing unfortunately. This is because the emulator you are using, is not utilizing the MMC5 register $5130 correctly. I perform chr swaps for 3 specific things, the intro, a mini game, and the Ganon fight. If you continue to play the game with the garbaged gfx, it will obviously look bad, and it might even crash.
Now my first thought is that the Retron5 can not properly emulate MMC5. However I'm also curious about the cart designation.

My cart is reported as: Legend of Zelda, The (USA) (Rev A)

While the author notes the rom should be used with: Legend of Zelda, The (U) (PRG0)

Considering that rom naming is likely different between goodrom naming and the Retron5 itself, I'm unsure if I am even using the correct version. Now I did find a rom of Rev A and already had on for PRG0 and may try to do a little frankenpatching, however I thought I'd throw out the question to anyone who might be in the know on this subject to see which theory holds up.

Thanks in advance. :)

R9delta
Patch Master

Re: Help: Zelda - The Legend of Link (Currently Unplayable)

Post by R9delta » September 18th, 2014, 1:21 am

Can't get to my PC at the moment but it might be worth trying the PRG 1 version and making a patch out of that in case the retron 5 just reads it wrong. As in patch the PRG 0 version like the instructions state, and then use lunar ips to make a patch using PRG 1 regular Zelda as the base and PRG 0 patched game as the end result. That's what I would try anyway

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » September 18th, 2014, 9:51 am

Played around with this and got some more info for you. The garbage text in the intro is because of the emulator the Retron 5 uses for NES/Famicom games. I would bet my left nut it's based off FCE Ultra. Anyway if anyone wants to play this game anyway despite the garbage text in the intro here they are:

PRG 0:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/s42jx ... RG0%29.ips

PRG 1:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/gpt2a ... RG1%29.ips

Also just in case anyone is worried because the author of the hack states to make sure and use the hack on a PRG 0 rom because otherwise there'll be problems....the PRG 1 patch i made not only patches your copy of Legend of Zelda, but converts it to the PRG 0 version before doing so. So if the PRG 1 version doesn't work for you, it's because that's not the cartridge you have to begin with. Any glitches are actually on the Retron 5's end, not the patch.

and for the hell of it, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II - The Arcade Game -> Zelda - Legend of Link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/cpdl8 ... f+Link.ips
Last edited by R9delta on October 6th, 2014, 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hikaricore
Site Admin

Post by hikaricore » September 18th, 2014, 9:55 am

I'll give these patches a shot. I also experienced the game crashing upon attempting to do anything other than walk left and right, so we'll see how that goes. :) Thanks as always.

hikaricore
Site Admin

Post by hikaricore » September 18th, 2014, 10:39 am

It's working for me with the PRG1 version. :D

ifightdragons

Post by ifightdragons » September 19th, 2014, 10:50 am

This is awesome, thanks a lot! But the game is currently in bug testing hell, and Infidelity keeps releasing new and improved versions almost every other day. Latest is version 3.2 - could you please let us know which versions of the patches you are posting here? Would be sweet if they were the latest. And great job man! Kind regards :)

hikaricore
Site Admin

Post by hikaricore » September 19th, 2014, 11:14 am

Should be the latest version 3.2 since the one on RomHacking.net hasn't been updated since 14 September 2014.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » September 19th, 2014, 12:23 pm

Yeah they're 3.2. I downloaded from the link in the OP to create the fixed ones.

ifightdragons

Post by ifightdragons » October 5th, 2014, 2:06 pm

R9delta wrote:Yeah they're 3.2. I downloaded from the link in the OP to create the fixed ones.
Hiya :) Been playing this wonderful hack on my RetroN 5, all thanks to you! I think I have a PRG1 original cart. Infidelity has now made a new revision which he calls his final build, version 4.0 - In addendum to that, Vanya has made an additional patch that improves some graphical errors. Please see here for details:
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/board/thread.ph ... 661#158661

Would you be able to make an IPS patch for both PRG0 and PRG1 of this final 4.0 with the map fix addendum, just like you did with 3.2?

Here is the link for the latest 4.0 version incl. the awesome addendum which fixes things Infidelity couldn't do himself:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/l39lxfwtpvkw99c/Zelda_-_The_Legend_of_Link_v4.0_Addendum_(Map_Fixes_v1.0).zip

Kind regards, have a great day folks

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » October 6th, 2014, 6:44 pm

Okay stacking patches took a little creativity and wasn't a run of the mill patch job but I've got it sorted now. Here you go:

Legend of Link v4.0 & Map Fix (Apply to LoZ PRG0):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/n5h2h ... RG0%29.ips

Legend of Link v4.0 & Map Fix (Apply to LoZ PRG1):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/gpt2a ... RG1%29.ips

Also keep in mind again the intro being glitched is not a result of the patch, it's a result of the emulator (FCE Ultra) that Hyperkin ripped off for the Retron 5. Unless Hyperkin switches emulators that issue is not getting fixed anytime soon unfortunately.