Final Fantasy VI Advance Sound restoration for U.S. version?

Post or link to the best rom hacks here. Completed projects are preferred because let's be honest, folks can go elsewhere for the rest. Be sure to cite to original author(s).
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
Purkeynator

Final Fantasy VI Advance Sound restoration for U.S. version?

Post by Purkeynator » May 31st, 2015, 4:27 pm

Would it be possible to take the FF6 sound restoration patch that was designed for the European version and convert it to work with the U.S. version of Final Fantasy Advance VI? I have a FF6 Advance cart and would like to play it on both my GBA and my Retron 5 and maintain the save across both playing on my TV and on the go so a conversion may not be what I need. Ideally, I'd like to play the game with both the sound restoration and color restoration patches on my Retron 5. Can anyone help?

R9delta
Patch Master

Re: Final Fantasy VI Advance Sound restoration for U.S. vers

Post by R9delta » June 1st, 2015, 7:11 pm

I've created a patch just now that will take a US version and convert it to the sound restored European version (that's the only way to do this honestly). I can't test if it works right now other than on my PC as I don't have access to my Retron at the moment but technically it SHOULD work.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/mu1w2 ... ration.ips

Again this is the only way you're going to be able to play this on your US version. The creator of the hack claims saves should be compatible across all versions but quite frankly if not, the only person that can recreate the rom hack for strictly the US version is the original author of it.

Please report back if you can. Also as this patch is rather large whenever you start the game with the patch on please wait before pressing anything and let the patch fully load. It might have to sit at a black screen for 5-10 seconds.

Purkeynator

Post by Purkeynator » June 5th, 2015, 9:13 am

Thanks for the patch! It does indeed work on the Retron 5. It does create a couple of weird issues though. The first is the sound; yes it is now the SNES version sound but the sound does pop and cut out during some tracks like the beginning where the Magi Tech soldiers march to Narshe. The second issue is the saves. My current save had me at Cyan's castle with Shadow and Sabin while playing on my GBA. When I put the game in the Retron 5 and booted it up with the patch, it loaded my save from close to the beginning with just Terra in the Narshe cave. It was also able to load my quick save which I thought had been deleted. I am going to try again later and see if I can create a new quick save that it will read, where I am actually at in the game so I can easily switch back and forth between playing on the GBA and playing on the Retron 5 and continuing my game from either. Thanks for much for the patch! I am excited to play this game with original soundtrack, new translation, and new dungeons/espers.

Purkeynator

Post by Purkeynator » June 11th, 2015, 10:11 pm

So after a bit more tinkering, this is what I learned. The game seems to not recognize my saves whenever played in the Retron 5 except for that original Terra save in the Narshe caves. When I play the game on my GBA, it recognizes my hard save and my quick save with no problems. Even when I remove the patch I get the same result. It's pretty weird. So it seems I cannot use the patch and play the game on both systems with the same save file. I wonder what I would need to do to get the game to recognize as the U.S. version again on the Retron so I can access my save? Delete all the files using the file explorer?