Various Pryon patches for the Mega Drive

Post or link to the best rom hacks here. Completed projects are preferred because let's be honest, folks can go elsewhere for the rest. Be sure to cite to original author(s).
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
DJ Convoy

Various Pryon patches for the Mega Drive

Post by DJ Convoy » November 22nd, 2016, 5:26 pm

Hello;

For the LIFE of me, I can not get these patches to work without the dreaded red screen of death:

Street Fighter 2: SCE http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2090/

Captain America and the Avengers: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2283/

I swear I've used his color hacks before, and I'm using the proper romset and so forth. I'VE DONE THIS BEFORE! I successfully patched Bloodlines, for instance... but both of these carts don't seem to work when I try the patch I've made in Lunar. Not sure what the heck I'm doing wrong...

R9delta
Patch Master

Re: Various Pryon patches for the Mega Drive

Post by R9delta » November 23rd, 2016, 1:25 am

From the Street Fighter II' hack (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2090/):

Rom required:
Street Fighter II' - Special Champion Edition (U) [f1]
The bolded above is specifically why this patch doesn't work on the Retron 5 as it is. That patch is made from a modified rom, something your SF2 cartridge is probably not. Unless the patch is re-made for a regular SFII' Champion Edition rom and not a modified one, it'll never work. As for the Captain America hack, I'm actually not sure why it doesn't work as is for the Retron. It technically should.

I'll take a look at both when I get around to them eventually.

EDIT: Didn't see that you were already using lunar to try remaking the patches themselves. Honestly as long as you're following to right method and patching against the correct roms I'm not sure why it's not working. Again I can still take a look at some point though and see if i have perhaps better luck

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » November 23rd, 2016, 2:05 am

So I looked into it and the patches work out fine for me. The Street Fighter II' one you linked I had to redo it so it would apply to the proper rom but once I did it was good. The Captain America patch worked as is and tested fine for me but I double checked it and made it again against the proper rom.

You can get the adjusted patches here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/h9buhdi21 ... +US%29.ips

...and here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/coby6gtx7 ... +US%29.ips

If these do not work for you then you probably need to make sure you're on the latest firmware for the Retron. Genesis games got severely broken, especially with cheats and patches applied, around ver 2.1-2.2ish so that could honestly be the issue here.

Also I wanted to see if it was possible to stack the audio fix and color hack patches for Street Fighter but unfortunately because of the rom (what I pointed out in the post above) that pyron used as the basis for the color hack that is not possible and will probably take him remaking it from scratch

DJ Convoy

Post by DJ Convoy » November 23rd, 2016, 10:31 am

I'll give both a try when I have a chance today; thanks for taking a look!

DJ Convoy

Post by DJ Convoy » November 23rd, 2016, 11:12 am

Very interesting; ST SCE works just fine now (doubtlessly because of the rom issue, as you said), but Cap still gives me the red screen. I'm definitely on the most current firmware... at least I don't feel so bad about my patchmaking skills, now. :D

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » November 23rd, 2016, 12:23 pm

Glad SF2 works for you now. As far as Captain America goes, which version of the game do you actually have? The japanese, US, or european version? I honestly didn't even pay attention the first time to the fact that you said "Mega Drive" and not "Sega Genesis"

DJ Convoy

Post by DJ Convoy » November 23rd, 2016, 4:48 pm

Hmmm... I thought I had the US version, but you know what? Apparently I bought a PAL version without even noticing! Huh. Good thing I have a Retron or I'd be pissed!

I'm legit a bit embarrassed, now! :oops: Would this patch even be suitable for a PAL version, as it was made with the normal US rom?

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » November 23rd, 2016, 5:35 pm

DJ Convoy wrote: Would this patch even be suitable for a PAL version, as it was made with the normal US rom?
No. IPS patches are very specific. An IPS patch can apply to a specific source/rom and only that one. That's why for instance when there is multiple versions of a game (v1.0, v1.1, etc..) I have typically to re-do one for each version to have everyone covered.

It's no big deal, it's an easy problem to fix honestly (Use Lunar IPS to create a patch between the actual cartridge/rom you have including region and all and the desired output rom) but you just gotta be specific.

This one should work:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/yjfzhbjdy ... EUR%29.ips

That said I don't know how the Retron 5 acts when you use a patch that will also switch the region of your game like that. This patch is taking your European game and changing it to a US one in addition to applying the color hack so I don't know if the speed of the game will look proper to you...and I can't exactly test that part as I have a Retro Freak these days and not a Retron 5 anymore. It wouldn't matter as there's nothing I can do to fix that even if it was an issue though. You'll probably want to go to the region settings on your Retron 5 and make sure its running in NTSC 60hz/US/Whatever it calls it.