Sonic Return to the Origin hanging on Retro Freak

Post or link to the best rom hacks here. Completed projects are preferred because let's be honest, folks can go elsewhere for the rest. Be sure to cite to original author(s).
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
Lilith
לילית

Sonic Return to the Origin hanging on Retro Freak

Post by Lilith » July 15th, 2016, 3:48 am

I just tried to boot up Sonic-Return to the Origin on my Retro Freak, and it just hung at the Sega logo. The weird thing is, the exact same file runs fine on my PSP. I'm wondering if I somehow did something wrong, since it makes little sense why it'd work on one and not the other.

As a sidenote, I've been planning to stream this hack, so discovering that it won't run on my Retro Freak is a real downer. I'm aware there are ways to stream from a PSP but A) I don't know how and B) It'd feel strange to stream from a handheld

Is it possible that a patch could work where a pre patched ROM wouldn't?

R9delta
Patch Master

Re: Sonic Return to the Origin hanging on Retro Freak

Post by R9delta » July 15th, 2016, 4:51 pm

Generally speaking there's no difference between an already hard patched ROM and one that's being patched on the fly. You'll likely see the same unfortunate result regardless. Its an issue with the emulation itself.

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » July 15th, 2016, 4:58 pm

Well, that sucks.

On the plus side I learned how to stream from PSP, although it might be a bit weird to actually do. I did try the Steam workshop, which has the hack, but it sort of lags, which seems to be sort of common for Steam workshop games.

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » July 15th, 2016, 9:34 pm

Just as an aside, I've been trying out Retro Arch, and was a bit disappointed that it didn't seem to pick up my romhacks. I've read that patching the files after you add them, then reload the database works, and I tested this with Lunar GG. I'm wondering if this works with full on romhacks rather than just translations.

Edit-Scratch all this, I managed to patch Sonic 1 with the xdelta patch of Return to Origin. Guess it'd time to patch all the hacks that won't work on my Retro Freak and/or PSP.
:D

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » July 15th, 2016, 11:07 pm

Yeah to be honest I don't even use the database feature on RetroArch. I have too many pre-patched roms to mess with it. Just keep my stuff organized in folders and use "Load Content -> Select File and Detect Core" while having my main rom folder pointed to by default.

I'll be honest, I hardly use my Retro Freak as it is either (mostly just for patch testing when necessary). I solely stick to my Nvidia Shield TV and RetroArch for emulation needs. Being able to broadcast directly to twitch from it is nice too.

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » July 15th, 2016, 11:44 pm

How is the Nvidia Shield TV when it comes to emulating? I was gonna get a Pi 3 system, but I have no idea how a Shield TV Pro compares to one.

Yeah....I just tried the load content and detect cores thing, and it actually works for my romhacks, awesome! I probably will just do that rather than patching all my roms...I'll just use database for my actual games, I guess.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » July 16th, 2016, 12:01 am

Speed-wise almost everything up to and including PS1 run perfect, most N64 games run perfect (not all but this is mostly because N64 emulation has never gotten where it should be), a lot of PSP games in HD do and even a few Gamecube games are actually playable as well. My personal bar of acceptance is it needs to pretty much run at 60hz/fps/as it originally did/without frameskip or i don't even bother with it. Outside of PC of course it's the most powerful and open emulation device out there and it's not even a contest. The Pi 3 can't even be anywhere competitive with it but then again it's not 300 dollars like the Shield TV Pro is either. I have to be honest, I think 300 is a bit much (speaking as a Pro owner) but the 200 dollar 16gb with a big microSD card is probably worth it if you want the best device for this stuff out there and don't want to use a PC. If cartridges don't hold a huge importance to you it makes the Retro Freak look like a really poor value in comparison (also speaking as an owner)...unless it ever gets hacked and the hack is actually released. Stuff like any USB controller/converter or wireless controllers like 8bitdo's SFC/FC30's work fantastically too in place of the bulky original xbox like controller that the shield comes with.

Watch "Free Emulator"'s channel on youtube. There's a lot of recordings of games and their performance on the Shield on it and will give you a pretty good idea how well things can run. I've found them pretty accurate and some games running and looking like they do is downright impressive to me.

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » July 16th, 2016, 12:34 am

Can it play romhacks and use patches? I'm leaning towards one of these if everyone says the Pi 3 isn't as powerful, plus this looks a lot smaller than the thing I'd be getting, which is a plus. I'm definitely getting the 16GB version, since I can just load up a 64GB SD card and be good

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » July 16th, 2016, 12:47 am

Yeah you can use patches, and romhacks. For soft patching on the fly just have them the same name as the Roms and in the same directory. Honestly its probably just easier though loading up already patched Roms and hacks though. Retron 5 and Retro Freak kinda have a leg up in this area as far as ease of use with patches because you can select what you want. It can be a pain on the shield/retroarch if you just like having multiple patches for one game. Best just to..like I said..stick already patched Roms on there instead.

Few tips..get used to RetroArch as much as you can..it'll work the same way on the shield. Download newest stable android version of it (1.3.4) on computer and put the apk on an SD card and install it that way. You can't download it directly from the device (technically there's a way but keeping it simple here).

File manipulation can be a pain on the shield..its like an android based computer with worse default controls so either be able to do one of these 3 things: have a USB keyboard and mouse for it...have it plugged in near your computer so you can USB to it...or keeps your Roms, save files, patches, and bios files on SD card and don't really bother putting them on shield storage itself. I keep them all on internal storage myself because I have 500gb version and might as well but it can be annoying.