Pier Solar (Genesis/Mega Drive) (DEFUNCT)

Post region conversions such as JPN to US here, also game to game conversions IE Star Fox to Star Fox 2.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
RetroLolo

Re: Pier Solar (Genesis/Mega Drive) (Apply to Sonic 2)

Post by RetroLolo » May 26th, 2015, 6:13 pm

Hi again.
Sorry for the delay.
I updated the APP firmware to 2.3.B1 and the same behaviour than before is here.
i tried with separate save and without, not trying header because those patches are headerless.
While reading a few websites, i see that pier solar is not easy to be "emulated".
So even the legit cartridge is not working on retron5 anyway.
I think i 'll gonna buy the digital version on current gen system to play that game.

If i misunderstand something or if it works on your retron5, i don't know what i am doing wrong !

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » May 27th, 2015, 11:56 am

Hmm, I'm sorry to hear that :( Yeah I'm not sure what the issue is to be honest then. I've tested both the original Sonic 2 patch and the Thunder Force III patch against my own cartridges (Sonic 2 being US though) on the Retron 5 and they both convert to Pier Solar for me just fine. I've done a complete playthrough of it actually from the Sonic 2 patch. If I think of any other solutions for you in the future i'll let you know

kain611

Post by kain611 » May 31st, 2015, 9:57 am

Any chance on getting a Pier Solar patch made for genesis games Brett Hull Hockey '95 or World Series Baseball or the Original Sonic the Hedgehog?

fdeschape

Post by fdeschape » June 12th, 2015, 11:29 pm

i tried all of that. i updated the firmware, i tried both patches, and i still get black screen or it loads the not affiliated with sega screen and then returns to main menu. Any reason why it does that? i have the sonic 2 that says NOT FOR RESALE on it

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » June 13th, 2015, 12:28 am

Yeah sorry. Unfortunately I've done all I can in regards to this game and can no longer be of assistance. Ive tested on my own copy of sonic 2 when I created the patch and have played it to completion as well as recreate for other versions. If the retron 5 broke the patch or game on more recent firmwares since 2.1 (last I played it in full) I can't do anything else on this.

fdeschape

Post by fdeschape » June 13th, 2015, 8:33 am

Thanks! No problem. I guess ill have to play on it geniune hardware and order the game online from watermelon. Thank yiu once again for all the hard work youve done with all the patches

RetroChiGuy1212

Post by RetroChiGuy1212 » July 11th, 2015, 1:17 pm

I couldn't get either Sonic ones to work also. I have Sonic 2 for the MegaDrive, does that make a difference? I tried creating a patch for Pier Solar and Sonic 2, but I couldn't find a specific Sonic 2 MegaDrive Rom, each one had (JUE) at the end. I did create one, but it got stuck at the trademark screen.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » July 11th, 2015, 5:01 pm

Yeah JUE means the ROM is exactly the same bit for bit for every region...meaning other than the cartridge shell all ver. 1 sonic 2 cartridges are the same regardless of country of origin. Same for version 2. Which is why not much troubleshooting can be done.

The problem might be the version your retron 5 is on (hyperkin changed something about the genesis emulator 2.1/2.2 onwards). It might be worth downgrading to 2.0 beta 6. Just a theory anyway.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » January 9th, 2016, 8:50 pm

So after going back and trying my old patch on the Retro Freak (similar device to Retron 5 based on same software) I've found out why the patch doesn't work. It's the Retron 5 and Retro Freak themselves. After a particular update Hyperkin decided to use an older version of GenPlus GX for it's Genesis emulator...one that does not play Pier Solar. At the time that I made this patch it worked. If I were to take a guess I'd say around update 2.0 beta 3...before Hyperkin got caught stealing emulator code and they had to change things to follow proper emulator licenses.

This affects the Retro Freak as well as it uses an older version of GenPlus GX...so the reality is...neither machine can play Pier Solar on their most current firmware revisions at this time of writing (1/9/16)
Last edited by R9delta on January 9th, 2016, 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hikaricore
Site Admin

Post by hikaricore » January 9th, 2016, 10:57 pm

Well, shit. XD

Honestly this may not be insurmountable on the Retro Freak. Folks have already figured out how to run other android apps on the unit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnArsOSe9Aw Can't imagine it would be much harder to replace default application versions.