Conversion to turn a game into Splatterhouse

Post region conversions such as JPN to US here, also game to game conversions IE Star Fox to Star Fox 2.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
DeathByBFG

Conversion to turn a game into Splatterhouse

Post by DeathByBFG » January 24th, 2016, 9:30 am

I know this may not be likely but does anyone know of any or is able to create a conversion to turn a Genesis or SNES game into Splatterhouse 1? I know it may be unlikely given that it's on a completely different system but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

R9delta
Patch Master

Re: Conversion to turn a game into Splatterhouse

Post by R9delta » January 25th, 2016, 10:27 am

Which game would you like converted to Splatterhouse?

DeathByBFG

Post by DeathByBFG » January 26th, 2016, 11:43 pm

I never thought about that. Does it matter? I was thinking Splatterhouse 2 or 3. Perhaps maybe Sonic 1 or 2 since those are easier to obtain? I have them but in case someone else wants this and it can be done with those.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » January 27th, 2016, 2:32 pm

It does matter yeah. If i just use a random game as a base to make a patch then there's no telling if it'll work for you if i don't know if you have the game to actually apply the patch to. What is a genesis game that you own in your position that I can make a patch based on to convert it to Splatterhouse? I can do Sonic 1 or 2 but for personal requests I'd rather do a game that doesn't have multiple versions that i'd have to make multiple patches based on.

That said, yeah it is possible to create a patch that doesn't care what game you're using it on (assuming it's at least the same system) but I try to actively avoid that route as the patch making i do is already legally ambiguous at best. Plus honestly if your goal is just to basically play roms there's more suitable hardware for that...a Retro Freak, an Ouya, a soft-modified Wii, pretty much any other android device...and so on. That said If you'd like to just go that route then you can refer to this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=69

DeathByBFG

Post by DeathByBFG » January 27th, 2016, 6:08 pm

Ah, I understand. Well, how about just using Splatterhouse 2 (USA) rom? That's the cartridge I have and there don't appear to be any other versions other than the European one.

Another thought though. Splatterhouse originally came out for the Turbografx 16 and not the Genesis. Is this conversion still possible?

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » January 27th, 2016, 7:18 pm

Yeah unfortunately unless there's a Genesis/SNES version I can convert to I can't really do anything :( You'd need a console like the Retro Freak instead that takes TG16/PC Engine games