Note to new Retro Freak owners

Post region conversions such as JPN to US here, also game to game conversions IE Star Fox to Star Fox 2.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
R9delta
Patch Master

Note to new Retro Freak owners

Post by R9delta » December 26th, 2015, 3:59 am

A note to any new Retro Freak owners out there...all the patches I've done will work as is with this new console. As will patches from other sources that work fine on the Retron 5. If anyone needs to link where I upload all my patches you can find it here: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/b5kjab ... r_Retron_5

For a quick rundown of what the Retro Freak is I'd just do a quick google but to keep it simple its a product much like the Retron 5...except it plays PC Engine/TurboGrafx 16 games as well, can save games to a MicroSD card (also to put it bluntly it allows playing straight downloaded roms too), and can use generic USB controllers (PS3/4 controllers, NES30, etc..). If anyone wants more info...again google. It's very nice, just got one in myself.

Lilith
לילית

Re: Note to new Retro Freak owners

Post by Lilith » December 26th, 2015, 4:30 am

So it CAN use translation patches? I had thought that it couldn't, but if so, I may MAYBE consider picking one up. Still wish they weren't ugly as sin, though.

Also would I have any trouble playing TG16/TGCD games region wise?

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » December 26th, 2015, 11:10 am

Yeah it use can patches just fine. They work exactly the same way as they do on the Retron 5 (in addition to working on the stored roms you have as well). If there's any difference i'd say they're slightly more pointless to use though as like I said, you can just download straight roms onto a microsd card as well when it comes to the Retro Freak. Actually a lot of things on the Retro Freak work the same as the Retron 5. So much so that I think it's based on the Retron 5...like straight ripped off from it though I can't fault them since Hyperkin was guilty of ripping off various emulators to begin with.

Anyway the system doesn't support TGCD games but all regions of regular PC Engine/TG16 games are officially supported. I don't have any physical PC Engine/TG16 games so I can't exactly test the physical part myself but roms from both regions play fine (tested a few like Neotopia I/II, R-type Part II, Bonk, Bomberman 94, etc..mixed regions here).

Edit: Also as a side note the cheat database from the Retron 5 work on the Retro Freak as long as you name the xml database files accordingly

B Rap Boy

Post by B Rap Boy » January 7th, 2016, 2:58 pm

I just recently got a Retro Freak and was glad to hear I could apply translation patches like I can on the Retron 5.
However, I can't get my Seiken Densetsu 3 patch working on the Reftro Freak. It worked on the Retron 5, but I can't seem to find the file when I try to apply the patch on the 'Freak.

Is there a certain folder or something that I should be putting the .ips file into on the SD card?

Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated!

(Also, thank you R9delta for linking to your translation patches, I've recently been buying a lot more import cartridges and have been looking for translation patches. :) )

Thanks again!

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » January 7th, 2016, 3:33 pm

B Rap Boy wrote:I just recently got a Retro Freak and was glad to hear I could apply translation patches like I can on the Retron 5.
However, I can't get my Seiken Densetsu 3 patch working on the Reftro Freak. It worked on the Retron 5, but I can't seem to find the file when I try to apply the patch on the 'Freak.

Is there a certain folder or something that I should be putting the .ips file into on the SD card?

Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated!

(Also, thank you R9delta for linking to your translation patches, I've recently been buying a lot more import cartridges and have been looking for translation patches. :) )

Thanks again!
Patches need to be in a "Patches" folder. This confused me too, since I hadn't used a folder for them on Retron 5.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » January 7th, 2016, 8:38 pm

\RetroFreak\Patch

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » January 7th, 2016, 10:53 pm

Oh, yeah, Patch. Not Patches. Not sure why I typed Patches.

B Rap Boy

Post by B Rap Boy » January 8th, 2016, 2:37 am

Awesome! Thank you both so much.

I've been really enjoying the Retro Freak and now I can take better advantage of it's features. :mrgreen:

-B

dashv
Site Moderator

Post by dashv » January 9th, 2016, 4:09 am

My googling has not answered the following questions:

Can I use my US NES, and Sega Genesis carts?

hikaricore
Site Admin

Post by hikaricore » January 9th, 2016, 4:16 am

Fairly sure NES needs a converter. No clue about Genesis.