Game conversion to Shantae?

Post region conversions such as JPN to US here, also game to game conversions IE Star Fox to Star Fox 2.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
mythicrobdog

Game conversion to Shantae?

Post by mythicrobdog » October 29th, 2014, 12:12 am

Would love a Game Boy Color conversion to Shantae. That game is so crazy expensive but it would be awesome to play it on the Retron5.

R9delta
Patch Master

Re: Game conversion to Shantae?

Post by R9delta » October 29th, 2014, 1:00 pm

Unfortunately I usually won't take requests for converting from one game to an entirely different one but I can teach you how to do it yourself. It's not that I care about the legalities of it but if I do it for one person I'll have a ton of others banging down my door asking when really, something like an Ouya or PC might be better suited if the interest is just essentially playing roms of games they don't have.

Anyway here's how to make a patch using your PC:

1 - Download Lunar IPS from here:
http://fusoya.eludevisibility.org/lips/

1B (SNES Games only) - Download SNES Rom utility from here:
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/593/

2 - Download both the rom for the matching cartridge (it has to be EXACT) you're trying to convert FROM, and the rom for the matching cartridge you're trying to convert TO. The roms you're mostly on your own for but dgemu.com is a good resource.

3 - Put Lunar IPS, SNES Rom utility (if this is an SNES/SFC game) and the 2 roms you're trying to make a patch between in a same directory

3B - If you're making a patch between SNES/SFC roms you need to remove the header on both roms (really just the base rom but the end result one is recommended as well if possible) using SNES Rom Utility from step 1B. Once you open the program open the rom and use the option to remove the header and save. It'll create a new copy of the rom with the changes you made. You can delete the old one. Repeat the process for the end result rom you're converting to if possible.

4 - Open Lunar IPS. Click on Create IPS. Select the rom you're converting from (that matches your original cartridge) and double click it. If the rom doesnt show up click "Most Common ROM Files" and change it to "All Files *.*". Next it'll ask you to select the MODIFIED file to use. You're going to select the rom you're converting TO. After that, you'll have your end resulting patch.

5 - Throw the patch on the Retron 5 and use it on the cartridge you made the patch for.

- Tips -
One common problem people can run into is that they may not have the the matching cartridge of the rom they're making a patch for.

EXAMPLE: Let's say you want to make a patch for Front Mission to use on the Retron 5. You use a fully translated Front Mission english rom and a japanese Front Mission (1.0) rom. The patch you've made doesn't work. Well that might be because the your Front Mission cartridge is actually the 1.1 version. To fix the issue simply download the 1.1 Front Mission rom and use that for what you're converting from and make the patch again.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a patch will only work on the Retron 5 if the game you're converting from and to are both for the same system. Meaning you can't take an SNES game and change it into a Genesis/Megadrive game. Same goes for Gameboy in this your topic's case. You have to use a Gameboy Color cartridge/rom as the basis for your patch. It cannot be a Gameboy or Super Gameboy Enhanced rom or cartridge.

mythicrobdog

Post by mythicrobdog » December 18th, 2014, 11:40 am

So the snesROMutil won't let me remove the header for the rom. It just loads the rom with no ability to take the header out. Any suggestions?

Here is an example below.
Attachments
snesromutil.JPG

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » December 18th, 2014, 11:53 am

That means the rom is already headerless so it's good to go for patch making as it is