Kaijuu Monogatari Patch on Retron 5

Please credit the original individual or team if you are not posting your own work.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
quakeguy81

Kaijuu Monogatari Patch on Retron 5

Post by quakeguy81 » January 21st, 2018, 5:48 am

I bought Kaijuu Monogatari for Famicom off eBay to play on my Retron 5. I tried to use the English translation IPS patch for Kaijuu Monogatari on this https://www.romhacking.net/translations/619/. The instructions say to increase the ROM size before applying the IPS patch, but the Retron 5 doesn't allow me to manipulate ROMs before playing them. I tried using the IPS patch anyway, and the ROM seems to glitch and freeze during the intro. Is there a solution to using this IPS patch on the Retron 5?

R9delta
Patch Master

Re: Kaijuu Monogatari Patch on Retron 5

Post by R9delta » January 21st, 2018, 1:56 pm

(Ignore this)

quakeguy81

Post by quakeguy81 » January 21st, 2018, 4:16 pm

That's the same IPS patch in your Retron 5 patches collection. I just tested it. It works fine at the title screen, but after you name your character, it freezes during the intro. Did you expand the ROM before you patched the English translation?

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » January 21st, 2018, 4:19 pm

Yes, I did. I wouldn't have uploaded it in the first place if i didn't. Unfortunately if this patch doesnt work for you there's nothing that can be done.

Edit: Actually turns out there was an emulation issue between the ending result rom and the Retron 5 in particular after looking back into it now, you can try this one based on a different dump and see if it works:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/cfz082fo2 ... gatari.ips

quakeguy81

Post by quakeguy81 » January 21st, 2018, 4:51 pm

R9delta wrote:Yes, I did. I wouldn't have uploaded it in the first place if i didn't. Unfortunately if this patch doesnt work for you there's nothing that can be done.

Edit: Actually turns out there was an emulation issue between the ending result rom and the Retron 5 in particular after looking back into it now, you can try this one based on a different dump and see if it works:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/cfz082fo2 ... gatari.ips
I tried this patch as well. It still freezes at the same spot, after the character name input screen. You are saying it is a problem with my cartridge dump (ROM) being different than the one in your IPS patch? Thanks for trying!

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » January 21st, 2018, 4:59 pm

No, the complete translated game is incompatible with the Retron 5. The base game/rom prior to patching is fine. Pretty much the only ones that can probably fix that is Hyperkin...and they stole the emulators in the first place so there's not much chance of that happening.

quakeguy81

Post by quakeguy81 » January 21st, 2018, 5:02 pm

R9delta wrote:No, the complete translated game is incompatible with the Retron 5. The base game/rom prior to patching is fine. Pretty much the only ones that can probably fix that is Hyperkin...and they stole the emulators in the first place so there's not much chance of that happening.
Ok, that makes sense. I tried playing it without the patch and it plays just fine, so it must be an emulation issue like you said. I'm also having an issue with the Radia Senki: Reimei Hen (Chronicle of the Radia) IPS patch, the dialog box is off to the right, but at least it is playable. Thanks again for looking at this!

quakeguy81

Post by quakeguy81 » January 21st, 2018, 5:19 pm

R9delta wrote:No, the complete translated game is incompatible with the Retron 5. The base game/rom prior to patching is fine. Pretty much the only ones that can probably fix that is Hyperkin...and they stole the emulators in the first place so there's not much chance of that happening.
In case you are interested I cross-posted about it on the ROMHacking.net forums and the guy who created the hack also seems to think it is an emulation issue. https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index. ... ic=25647.0