NES Dragon Warrior 2, 3 and 4 translation hunt!

Please credit the original individual or team if you are not posting your own work.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
KlownKefka

NES Dragon Warrior 2, 3 and 4 translation hunt!

Post by KlownKefka » February 3rd, 2016, 9:28 am

I'm looking for translation patches for 2, 3 and 4, from Japanese to English. It would be very much appreciated since the only way to get these games on NES at a reasonable price is this way. Sadly I've only been able to find patches for the SNES games.

R9delta
Patch Master

Re: NES Dragon Warrior 2, 3 and 4 translation hunt!

Post by R9delta » February 3rd, 2016, 1:17 pm

I made conversion patches for DQ III and IV some time ago

DQ III (Japan) to DW III (US):

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3qlz1 ... 8US%29.ips

DQ IV Japan) to DW IV (US):

http://www.mediafire.com/download/e4icd ... 8US%29.ips

I haven't bothered with I and II (I have I and II for Super Famicom personally so I haven't bothered with the Famicom versions since no one has requested it thus far) but keep an eye out on this thread and i'll have I and II here in the next few days.

KlownKefka

Post by KlownKefka » February 3rd, 2016, 2:04 pm

Awesome thank you very much!

KlownKefka

Post by KlownKefka » February 7th, 2016, 12:21 pm

Just got my games in the mail yesterday. The patches for 3 and 4 work fantastic!

Thanks again.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » February 7th, 2016, 12:59 pm

KlownKefka

Post by KlownKefka » February 7th, 2016, 7:21 pm

Thank you very much!

Do you have a link anywhere with how you make those translation patches? I really appreciate all the help.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » February 7th, 2016, 8:03 pm

Yeah, there's an explanation I put out using Panel De Pon/Tetris Attack as an example when the Retron 5 first started supporting patches. I'll paste it below but It's not exactly the same process I used to make these Dragon Quest->Warrior conversions although those were simpler. Just take a clean japanese rom of each game, a clean US rom of each game and use Lunar IPS to make a patch between the 2. Everything but SNES will use this basic same process. SNES requires being a bit more thorough which you can see below:
R9delta wrote:If anybody would like a quick tutorial of how these were made and would like to do it themselves, here's a description of an example I did and a video to go along with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmc6Bu3LsD4

Keep in mind on the video I frequently test the roms and/or patches using SNES9x. This is not a required step but it might make life on you easier by checking your progress as you're going along. On to the steps I did:

Tetris Attack (US) to Panel De Pon (JPN but Translated):
On my PC I have a rom of Tetris Attack (US) and Panel De Pon (JPN). The first thing I want to do is translate that copy of Panel De Pon. I downloaded and used the translation patch from here:

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1144/

I opened it up and copied PDP English Patch (v1.0 - nonheader).ips to the same directory with my 2 roms I need...Tetris Attack and an untranslated Panel De Pon.

This is where the fun starts. See for the Retron 5 to successfully use a patch that takes one game and convert it to another game the rom i'm converting from needs to have what's called the "header" removed. That is because on the Retron 5 all games are played/dumped as headerless, so therefore the rom you're working with on your PC to make the patch also need to be headerless as well. Keep in mind this only applies to SNES games.

Here is the program that I use to accomplish that:
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/593/

Since the Panel De Pon translation patch I'm using also requires a headerless rom I also need to remove not only the header for Tetris Attack but Panel De Pon as well. I therefore then use the header removing program as linked above and open it along with Panel De Pon. I choose to remove the header (the option will be grayed out if the rom already has no header) and the program saves the new headerless Panel De Pon as a new file. I then delete the old one afterwards.

This is where the first patching comes in. I use Lunar IPS to do both my actual patching. here is the link to it:
http://fusoya.eludevisibility.org/lips/

Using lunar IPS I patch the new headless Panel De Pon rom with the translation patch i had downloaded earlier. After that Panel De Pon is done. Now I want to convert Tetris Attack to Panel De Pon (translated). Using the rom header program I downloaded earlier I open Tetris Attack just like i did with Panel De Pon earlier and remove the header. I save it as a new file and delete the old one. Now we're on to the final steps.

Using Lunar IPS again I click "Create IPS patch". I choose the headerless Tetris Attack as my original UNMODIFIED file for Lunar IPS and I then use Panel De Pon translated as my MODIFIED file and then save the patch that is created. This patch is thrown onto an SD card to be used on the Retron 5. From there it's simple, I load up my Tetris Attack cartridge and use the patch I made, it now loads up as Panel De Pon!

AutisticKoops

Post by AutisticKoops » February 21st, 2024, 9:29 pm

Man, this thread hasn't been touched in a long time but I've found myself in the exact same predicament as others, wanting to translate a famicom cart of DQIV and needing to dig into the depths of the web to find an IPS patch file. I got the one for DQIII which I also wanted but the mediafire page for the DQIV IPS doesn't work or exist anymore, just says the file was removed from their servers. I doubt anyone will see this, but if so could you please hint me in the direction of the DQIV file?