Translation question - Goonies 2 (Famicom)

Please credit the original individual or team if you are not posting your own work.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
tylerh

Translation question - Goonies 2 (Famicom)

Post by tylerh » March 17th, 2015, 6:01 pm

Hi All -

First off - I tried to figure out this answer myself by reading some great posts here... But Im a bit stuck..

I have a Copy of Goonies 2 for Famicom (The seller sent it to me when I purchased a copy of Goonies (1) ) And I do like the game, and I would like to play it on the retron aka - on my TV.. But its all Japanese.

Can I pull the english translation out of the Goonies 2 english ROM I have, and apply it to the Japanese Famicom cartridge? I read HOW to apply the translation once I have it, via SD card, etc... But I am lost when it comes to actually being able to extract the english from the rom on my PC.

I hope I worded this clearly !

Tyler

R9delta
Patch Master

Re: Translation question - Goonies 2 (Famicom)

Post by R9delta » March 18th, 2015, 11:25 am

Goonies II (JPN) to (US):

http://www.mediafire.com/download/2k3vt ... 8US%29.ips

Basic process I used to accomplish this:

1. Download both the Japanese rom and the US rom for The Goonies II, making sure they are both the verified good dump of both (not a pirate version, bad dump, etc..)

2. Download Lunar IPS (http://fusoya.eludevisibility.org/lips/)

3. Put Lunar IPS and both roms in the same directory on my computer

4. Run Lunar IPS and click create patch. Choose the japanese rom of Goonies II as my source rom/original unmodified source. After that choose the US rom as my ending/modified result rom. It'll create the patch and that's it.

Pretty simple. This is how I do all my patches. These instructions mostly apply to NES roms but can be used for any system although it can be a bit more involved for stuff like the SNES (requires some prep work before making your patch).

tylerh

Post by tylerh » March 18th, 2015, 11:27 am

Thank you so much! Very Very helpful!!!

Does the Retron store the translation locally, or do I need to have the SD card in there every time I want to play?

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » March 18th, 2015, 11:29 am

You need to have the SD card with your translation patch on it when you wish to play it yeah