Looking for translation patch - The one I found doesn't work

Please credit the original individual or team if you are not posting your own work.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
Gameophile

Looking for translation patch - The one I found doesn't work

Post by Gameophile » January 9th, 2015, 11:56 am

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I'm looking for some translation patches for my Retron 5. I've had my Retron 5 a while now but only recently have I found out I can use translation patches for imported games, I have a couple of games which I can't seem to find translation patches for, well I have found one but it won't work on the Retron 5, all it comes up with is a blank screen when I apply the patch. This is the patch I tried to use - http://www.romhacking.net/translations/830/
Also is there any websites besides this one that I can download patches from to use on my Retron 5? https://www.mediafire.com/folder/b5kjab ... _5#myfiles

1pil

Re: Looking for translation patch - The one I found doesn't

Post by 1pil » January 9th, 2015, 3:11 pm

When it comes to translations most times is required to check "header expected" in order to load the patch and have it working. If that doesn't work I don't know what else to do honestly....I haven't had any trouble with the translation patches I used. And I've used 4 patches, the translation patches I am using are for Final Fantasy VI, Seiken Densetsu 3, Dragon Quest V, and Dragon Quest VI. All translations for those games work with header expected checked. Oh I am sorry I also am using the translation for Final Fantasy II for Famicom. That also works with no issue. As for finding translations there is a LOT of games that never got translations at all. For example the very first Fire Emblem has not been translated. And there is 100s of other games never translated. Maybe its just the fact that the games you want just haven't been at all translated and that's why you can't find them. You certainly went to the right place Romhacking.com is the best place for translation patches. Not to say there isn't other sites, other ones may be on forums, like for example Phantasy Star Generation 2 translation for ps2 is on a forum and not a site in it self. And that isnt done being translated either....well I guess it is a site since its connected to the main site its on. lol What other games are you trying to find patches for? I suppose I could attempt to try to find translations....

Gameophile

Post by Gameophile » January 9th, 2015, 3:40 pm

Thank you for replying, 1pil. :) I will try the translation patch again from Romhacking but its good to know that the site is recommended for Retron 5 patching and I'll try and see about that 'header expected' option. I managed to get Chrono Trigger working but that was not from Romhacking and was from the other link I linked. The only other import game I've thought about patching is Dai-3-Ji Super Robot Taisen and can't even find a patch for that on the Romhacking website.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » January 9th, 2015, 3:49 pm

If you're using patches from the place I upload all my fixed patches to (the same mediafire link) there's no need to use the "expect header option" as I remove the headers from all roms before making or fixing the relevant patches to keep it as simple as possible. If you're downloading them from other sources like romhacking.net yeah you're going to get a mix of ones that require that turned on and those that don't...and some that won't work at all because you may not have the matching version of the rom/cartridge the patch was written for. So yeah apart from patches you've grabbed from the mediafire link, like 1pil said, it's best to try the option on and off and see if you have better luck. If you still have issues with a particular patch you can put in a request on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11 or make a request on this same sub forum as well.

Gameophile

Post by Gameophile » January 9th, 2015, 3:56 pm

Hey R9delta, first off thank you so much for making those translation patches, do you plan on adding more to that mediafire list in future? :) Ah I see, well I'll try the patch on the Romhacking website again and try that option you mention on the Retron 5, if that doesn't work I'll check that request thread out, very much appreciated. I am clueless when it comes to things like this but love the fact I can now play imported games on my Retron 5 in English :D

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » January 9th, 2015, 4:09 pm

I'm always adding to it but it's mostly by request. I've covered about all of my own import library and most of the major stuff that I would imagine most people would ask for so anything else I've added since the last month have been those that have been specifically asked about in that thread that I linked or occasional requests I catch on this forum in general or hyperkin's facebook. Generally speaking if a patch exists on romhacking.net but there's issues people have with it I can fix it to work on the Retron 5.

What I can't do is make new translations from scratch, I'm not a translator by any means and I have little to barely any programming knowledge but I can pretty much create a patch from any one rom to another and remove a few things that cause issues for the retron 5. It's actually pretty simple to do actually and there's a tutorial in that conversion/request thread how to do it yourself but again if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself that's what I'm here for so just ask away in that thread and i'll try to help when I can.

Gameophile

Post by Gameophile » January 9th, 2015, 4:33 pm

That's cool, well I've got that Mediafire page on my favourites so will keep checking it :) I think I had a little look at one video where someone was showing how to do your own translation patches but I couldn't follow or understand it really, bit too complicated for me, haha. Thanks again, I really do appreciate the time you take to do this for others and I think I can speak for other people as well. I'll try out the Gundam game again later to see if I can get it working, if not I'll put in a request.

Alienjesus

Post by Alienjesus » January 11th, 2015, 8:51 am

1pil wrote:As for finding translations there is a LOT of games that never got translations at all. For example the very first Fire Emblem has not been translated.

This translation worked fine for me: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1593/

1pil

Post by 1pil » January 15th, 2015, 1:57 pm

Alienjesus wrote:
1pil wrote:As for finding translations there is a LOT of games that never got translations at all. For example the very first Fire Emblem has not been translated.

This translation worked fine for me: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1593/
Holy crap it WAS translated? Oh wow...thats so cool! O: Well I looked for it all over the place but couldn't find it.
And I did look there, I may have just passed it too fast when looking over there. Thank you for posting that. It's too bad I can't find a physical copy for an affordable price though. I own gaiden though, last time I looked for the very first game right there was a month ago on ebay and they wanted 900 dollars for it. I was like whoah! lol.....

Alienjesus

Post by Alienjesus » January 16th, 2015, 4:17 pm

Keep checking on eBay, or maybe try some japanese game sites. I got my copy from eBay recently (UK) for about £18 (roughly $30) including postage