Do BPS patch work with the Retron 5?

Please credit the original individual or team if you are not posting your own work.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
the_importer

Do BPS patch work with the Retron 5?

Post by the_importer » October 26th, 2014, 5:33 pm

I should be getting my Retron 5 tomorrow, so I started downloading translation files for my SFC games. A few translation files I downloaded are in BPS format. I've been out of the emulation loop for over 5 years now (since I started collecting retro games), so I've never heard of that format. I've tried renaming BPS files to IPS, but the IPS patching programs won't recognize it. So my question is, will BPS files be compatible with the Retron 5.

Thank you

R9delta
Patch Master

Re: Do BPS patch work with the Retron 5?

Post by R9delta » October 26th, 2014, 5:43 pm

I don't think so, no. I'm pretty sure the Retron 5 only supports IPS and UPS. Xdelta and BPS formats are a no go. It's possible to make an IPS patch out of a BPS one in most cases though if the file size is small enough. Apply the BPS patch to the rom it's for on your PC with a BPS patcher and then make a IPS patch using the unpatched and now patched rom as the basis using a program like Lunar IPS.

the_importer

Post by the_importer » October 26th, 2014, 5:44 pm

R9delta wrote:I don't think so, no. I'm pretty sure the Retron 5 only supports IPS and UPS. Xdelta and BPS formats are a no go. It's possible to make an IPS patch out of a BPS one in most cases though if the file size is small enough. Apply the BPS patch to the rom it's for on your PC with a BPS patcher and then make a IPS patch using the unpatched and now patched rom as the basis using a program like Lunar IPS.
I'll try that, thank you.

hikaricore
Site Admin

Post by hikaricore » October 26th, 2014, 7:37 pm

Depending on the system (and ofc the Retron 5 specs) the maximum allowable patch size may vary. For example SEGA Genesis has a patch size limit of <10Mb. The system will go into a reboot loop if you load a larger patch and is configured to load games automatically.

LoneGun

Post by LoneGun » October 26th, 2014, 8:49 pm

R9delta wrote:It's possible to make an IPS patch out of a BPS one in most cases though if the file size is small enough. Apply the BPS patch to the rom it's for on your PC with a BPS patcher and then make a IPS patch using the unpatched and now patched rom as the basis using a program like Lunar IPS.
I can confirm I have done this with the Super Famicom Arabian Nights: Sabaku no Seirei Ou translation and turned it into a 400 KB IPS patch which successfully worked.

the_importer

Post by the_importer » October 26th, 2014, 8:53 pm

LoneGun wrote:
R9delta wrote:It's possible to make an IPS patch out of a BPS one in most cases though if the file size is small enough. Apply the BPS patch to the rom it's for on your PC with a BPS patcher and then make a IPS patch using the unpatched and now patched rom as the basis using a program like Lunar IPS.
I can confirm I have done this with the Super Famicom Arabian Nights: Sabaku no Seirei Ou translation and turned it into a 400 KB IPS patch which successfully worked.
Wow, that is exactly one of the games I wanted to try this with. I'll do this tonight :)