What's your favorite topic on this forum

Post whatever you want here. Just don't make fun of Chris Galliano or we might get sued.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Retro Freak is trademarked CYBER Gadget Corporation. Retro Freak name is copyright CYBER Gadget Corporation. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
Failrunner

What's your favorite topic on this forum

Post by Failrunner » September 21st, 2014, 1:14 pm

And what topics need to be added? The topics I like don't get many hits. The save data, and hacks topic. Although the hacks seem to be picking up.

hikaricore
Site Admin

Re: What's your favorite topic on this forum

Post by hikaricore » September 21st, 2014, 1:21 pm

I love the hacks topics, in fact I plan to post a new hack every few days while ofc adhering to only listing the best ones here. :)

Failrunner

Post by Failrunner » September 21st, 2014, 1:29 pm

I was tring to convert some of the Xdelta hacks to Ips but the one I got working was lame and the other two booted to a black screen.

hikaricore
Site Admin

Post by hikaricore » September 21st, 2014, 1:33 pm

R9 might be able to offer some insight into this if you ask him. It's likely you're trying to patch the wrong game version on the Retron 5 or something of the sort.

Failrunner

Post by Failrunner » September 21st, 2014, 1:37 pm

hikaricore wrote:R9 might be able to offer some insight into this if you ask him. It's likely you're trying to patch the wrong game version on the Retron 5 or something of the sort.
Yeah that is it but the right version always fails to patch. I gave the wrong version a shot just because maybe it would end up working.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » September 21st, 2014, 2:35 pm

If you'd like to give me an example of a patch you're trying to convert you can link it for me and I'll give it a shot. Maybe help give you a second opinion/pair of fresh eyes?

Failrunner

Post by Failrunner » September 21st, 2014, 8:03 pm

R9delta wrote:If you'd like to give me an example of a patch you're trying to convert you can link it for me and I'll give it a shot. Maybe help give you a second opinion/pair of fresh eyes?
Thanks! Here's a link. http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1039/

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » September 22nd, 2014, 8:05 am

So...I found the issue. The patch on romhacking either has one of two problems: The patch was corrupted when it was uploaded, or the patch was made using a bad or hacked dump of the game...which will take me an eternity to find which dump the creator used. The patch and dump of the game have to match EXACTLY otherwise it won't work hence why that's an issue.

So instead what I've done is find the same pre-patched hack from : http://info.sonicretro.org/Homing_attac ... in_Sonic_2

..and made a patch using a plain ol' regular verified good dump of Sonic 2 and that. Here is the end result:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/8b5hs ... mpdash.ips

I've tested before uploading. Assuming you've got the most common copy of Sonic 2 out there (apparently there's a revision 2 though so let me know) it'll work. Homing attacks are fun by the way, weeee.

Failrunner

Post by Failrunner » September 22nd, 2014, 3:56 pm

R9delta wrote:So...I found the issue. The patch on romhacking either has one of two problems: The patch was corrupted when it was uploaded, or the patch was made using a bad or hacked dump of the game...which will take me an eternity to find which dump the creator used. The patch and dump of the game have to match EXACTLY otherwise it won't work hence why that's an issue.

So instead what I've done is find the same pre-patched hack from : http://info.sonicretro.org/Homing_attac ... in_Sonic_2

..and made a patch using a plain ol' regular verified good dump of Sonic 2 and that. Here is the end result:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/8b5hs ... mpdash.ips

I've tested before uploading. Assuming you've got the most common copy of Sonic 2 out there (apparently there's a revision 2 though so let me know) it'll work. Homing attacks are fun by the way, weeee.
Thanks it worked!!

dashv
Site Moderator

Post by dashv » September 22nd, 2014, 10:43 pm

hikaricore wrote:I love the hacks topics, in fact I plan to post a new hack every few days while ofc adhering to only listing the best ones here. :)
I have an SMB 1 patch I'm working on that's sure to make me some new friends/enemies. :)