Retron 5 vs Retro Freak

Post whatever you want here. Just don't make fun of Chris Galliano or we might get sued.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Retro Freak is trademarked CYBER Gadget Corporation. Retro Freak name is copyright CYBER Gadget Corporation. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
DeathByBFG

Retron 5 vs Retro Freak

Post by DeathByBFG » January 31st, 2016, 4:21 pm

Hello all,

So now that the Retro Freak is out what is everyone's opinions on it? Especially compared to the Retron 5. I don't have a Retro Freak but I love my Retron 5. After reading about the RF it looks nice but I think the Retron 5 is going to be the overall better console. I like how it's an all in one box and doesn't require any adapters. Though the bundled controller with the RF looks to be better than the one that comes with the R5 I really don't mind the R5's controller all that much. Then again I use the real ones anyways so this doesn't affect me much. Other than the TurboGrafx 16 support and once it loads a ROM it dumps it permanently is there anything else the Retro Freak can do better than the Retron 5?

1pil

Re: Retron 5 vs Retro Freak

Post by 1pil » February 1st, 2016, 1:35 pm

To start with, Dumb price that is ridiculous and makes no sense. It only plays Japanese games(which sort of makes sense since its only in Japan unless you import it) And it seems to have Snes cartridge support which also makes no sense, out of any US version of a cartridge why Snes of all consoles?...lol And also TurboGFX and PCEngine which both either nobody has heard of, never played EVER or just couldn't find it anywhere. Most people have only Played both of those systems as a Emulator, most people back in the day never owned them physically not to mention for me there isn't any games worth getting for them. So the outrageous stupid price, ability to play console games that Retron can't but consoles that nobody has ever heard of, thats the other thing....its the Japanese version of both of those. Unless you can read japanese or unless they allow Rom or Translation support somehow you'll end up confused as hell. Especially if it has a User interface that's completely in Japanese. I haven't read to much into the system but I assume that's accurate. For me, It looks like a big waste of money. And I guess it can also play Famicom Disk System too? As for as I know, there is only one game I'd ever play from that and that's Duki Duki Panic(the game that Shigeru Miyamoto STOLE the sprites from and used it for the rest of every Mario game)

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » February 1st, 2016, 4:29 pm

1pil wrote:To start with, Dumb price that is ridiculous and makes no sense. It only plays Japanese games(which sort of makes sense since its only in Japan unless you import it) And it seems to have Snes cartridge support which also makes no sense, out of any US version of a cartridge why Snes of all consoles?...lol And also TurboGFX and PCEngine which both either nobody has heard of, never played EVER or just couldn't find it anywhere. Most people have only Played both of those systems as a Emulator, most people back in the day never owned them physically not to mention for me there isn't any games worth getting for them. So the outrageous stupid price, ability to play console games that Retron can't but consoles that nobody has ever heard of, thats the other thing....its the Japanese version of both of those. Unless you can read japanese or unless they allow Rom or Translation support somehow you'll end up confused as hell. Especially if it has a User interface that's completely in Japanese. I haven't read to much into the system but I assume that's accurate. For me, It looks like a big waste of money. And I guess it can also play Famicom Disk System too? As for as I know, there is only one game I'd ever play from that and that's Duki Duki Panic(the game that Shigeru Miyamoto STOLE the sprites from and used it for the rest of every Mario game)
The Retron 5's price was virtually the same when it was new...

As to why it has SNES and Genesis slots, but not NES, have you seen the difference in NES and Famicom carts? SNES/SFC and Gen/MD are much MUCH more similar, and the Retron 5 as well uses one slot for both of these. Ever wonder why the R5 has different NES and Famicom slots?

Also the menu is entirely in English if you want it to be, when you boot it up there's an English option. You don't even need to know any Japanese, English is in English.

As to the thread at hand, I personally find it very handy to be able to dump games to the SD Card and not have to put wear on my cart slot. Even if the cart slots are way better than the Retron 5's.

Re: NES. You can still play NES games off of the SD card, it just has no NES slot.

1pil

Post by 1pil » March 6th, 2016, 1:43 pm

So, your saying it has rom support? Or at least patch support like we do with Retron?....And you talk as if you own the Freak system. And the menu in English thats amazing. So its very pro "import" then. That is cool of them to do that.
Again, still don't see any good use for me, not really into the consoles they added to it. But if they add a lot more support for it, and more people start using that instead....then maybe I won't have any choice but to get it. Since Retron barely has any support. Way too many haters....

Oh and have u guys read about the Emulator Operating system called Lakka? It's suppose to basically be a slap in the face to these consoles that are out.

Oh and I only payed around 160 for the Retron 5. Anyone that payed 200 got ripped off. The retail price was 170 or 160 around there back when it first came out. Sites like Amazon and others raised the price for no reason and somehow got away with it. I physically bought it at a video game store for only 170 I believe. And that was not a sale price, it was the real price of it.