Nvidia Shield TV

Post whatever you want here. Just don't make fun of Chris Galliano or we might get sued.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Retro Freak is trademarked CYBER Gadget Corporation. Retro Freak name is copyright CYBER Gadget Corporation. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
R9delta
Patch Master

Re: Nvidia Shield TV

Post by R9delta » July 25th, 2016, 10:19 am

Glad you've got mostly everything working, RetroArch can be a pain in the ass. There's times where I still botch something and have to delete the whole RetroArch program and start all over which sucks so I can understand the frustration.

For N64 games I just use the default controls for the Shield Controller, I find it works relatively well for me as it is.

USB controllers do work and pretty much anything should work as I understand it. That said you might have to configure a controller's inputs first. There's a certain way I'd go about this though. When you plug a controller in and it doesn't automatically work you need to go into the input settings in Retroarch. Go into the settings for Input User 2 or above (I'll explain why in a bit) and change User 2 device index to the controller you've plugged in (might have to press a button on the controller to get it to show up first). Select either Bind All or bind each button individually. After you're done save an autoconfig for it. Exit retroarch and then the next time you enter it if you press a button on that controller you want to use it should map it to you automatically from then on.

Tips:

-Turn on Menu Toggle Command Combo to "Down+L1+R1+Y" in the input settings. That'll let you exit to the menu for controllers that don't have a home button. In fact i'd probably set this before you configure anything else.

-Use User 2, 3, 4, or 5 to configure a controller. If you use User 1 to do it and you mess up the bindings or you accidentally botch your shield controller settings you won't be able to get out the RetroArch properly and you'll have to restart the Shield. If you botch it bad enough you might even have to uninstall RetroArch entirely and install it again.

As far Sega CD games crashing on you, i'm not sure. It could be bad ISOs it could be your BIOS files. If you want to use my working BIOS files you can. Just put them where you're telling the shield to look for them in:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/h71hk ... +Files.zip

This zip contains the Sega CD bios files in both the format that GenesisPlusGX requires and PicoDrive requires. The Playstation 1 BIOS (PCSXReloaded may or may not require them, I haven't actually double checked), and the BIOS file for the famicom disk system. I just put in the FDS bios file I use on my Retroarch, I had not tested it with the Shield yet.

As for RetroArch crashing on other things, Android has become wierd and very annoying since ver. 4.4.2 about writing to the SD card (or not being able to for that matter). This might be an effect of that. If you're settings RetroArch to do things like download cores or save save files to the SD card it may not actually be able to and that's what is crashing it. There's ways to fix this but sometimes it requires rooting your device or finding a way to change the write permissions of something. Generally I don't mess with it. Personally what would do and put things like Roms/ISOs on your SD card and keep stuff like save data on the internal storage. If RetroArch generally needs to write to a file it's best if it's there on the internal.

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » July 25th, 2016, 6:22 pm

I'll probably end up doing that whole User 2-5 binding thing once I actually configure my N64 controller, or a PS2/Saturn controller or something. It's one of those Mayflash N64/PS2/Saturn controller adapters.

Is there an easy way to copy the needed Retro Arch files onto the internal? I really don't want to have to set my SD card as the internal, because then I can't put more games on it from my PC. Tried setting it up as internal the night I got it, it took hours to realize I couldn't get it to work, so I just stuck with using it as removable.

Looks like Famicom Disk System games work, and even English pre patched ROMs from the looks of it (I tried a pre patched Esper Dream)

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » July 25th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Yeah I would advise not marking the SD card internal storage, you pretty much have the right idea on that. Just leave the SD card as an external and store roms/isos on it and leave the other stuff (cores, saves, etc..) on the shield's 16gb internal storage. Personally for me it's either hard to find where RetroArch stores on the internal 16gb (500 in my case but same point) so i just make an "Emulation" directory and bios, and save file folders under it on the internal storage and tell RetroArch to use those. As far as copying stuff from the SD card to the internal storage I just use x-plorer from the google play store (might have covered that earlier but not sure)

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » July 27th, 2016, 10:49 pm

Just out of curiosity, have you had any luck with Emulation Station on the Shield? Does it offer pretty much the same stuff? I'm wondering if it's less of a pain and is easier to deal with.

I've been trying to install the Emulation Station APK, but I keep getting "app not installed". It's driving me nuts.

Also, what exactly do I need to copy to the internal from the SD card using X Plorer? I am a little lost on how this program works. I think I copied the needed files over, but Retro Arch still can't get cores.