help retron 5 picture quality issue

Post whatever you want here. Just don't make fun of Chris Galliano or we might get sued.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Retro Freak is trademarked CYBER Gadget Corporation. Retro Freak name is copyright CYBER Gadget Corporation. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
sjb33

help retron 5 picture quality issue

Post by sjb33 » March 21st, 2015, 4:02 am

I have just bought a retron 5 but the picture quality is terrible. I am using it on a sony hd smart tv so I'm not sure if it's a problem with my tv or if there is something wrong with the retron 5. This is a screenshot of streets of rage it looks like a pixelated mess. All the videos I've seen on YouTube the picture looks great. Please help :(
Attachments
Screenshot streets of rage
Screenshot streets of rage

hikaricore
Site Admin

Re: help retron 5 picture quality issue

Post by hikaricore » March 21st, 2015, 4:53 pm

sjb33 wrote:I have just bought a retron 5 but the picture quality is terrible. I am using it on a sony hd smart tv so I'm not sure if it's a problem with my tv or if there is something wrong with the retron 5. This is a screenshot of streets of rage it looks like a pixelated mess. All the videos I've seen on YouTube the picture looks great. Please help :(
So.. That looks totally average for a 16 or 32bit game. You might want to check out filters, because otherwise the Retron 5 is going to show you perfectly upscaled (possibly stretched to 16:9 aspect ratio) gameplay which looks exactly like this. You aren't trolling us are you?

hikaricore
Site Admin

Post by hikaricore » March 21st, 2015, 5:11 pm

On further inspection you may wish to check any scaling features on your set, it appears as though the image may be zoomed or cropped a bit, but still other than that without filters pixels are to be expected.

sjb33

Post by sjb33 » March 21st, 2015, 9:58 pm

Thanks for your reply the filters do smooth it out a bit but comparing some videos on YouTube of streets of rage on the retron 5 my picture didn't seem to be the same quality even with the filters on. Most of the pictures I've seen are excellent quality with hardly any pixels whilst playing streets of rage I will attach a youtube video screenshot of streets of rage for comparison to my screen shot.
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-03-21-13-21-52.png